Wednesday, January 14, 2009

A Fractured Thumb

Taylei has now had her first set of x-rays.  I keep trying to tell her she needs to come up with a better story than the "truth" for what happened but neither of us have been imaginative and so . . . she shut it in a car door . . . it might be a better story if someone else had shut it in the door or if she had been trying to save a million dollar antique vase from shattering on the floor or if she had been helping an elderly woman get across a patch of ice (which is in great supply in our area currently) but it was self inflicted.  We had just got back to our house after I picked her up from school when the accident occurred.  She dropped her back pack and started screaming and screaming and screaming.  Most of our neighbors work during the day or I'm sure she would have gathered a crowd.  After she calmed down she went in the house to lay down and relax on our bean bag.  It wasn't twenty minutes later when one of our friends decided to jump on her and as Murphy's law would have it he landed on the same thumb.  She says she heard a pop at this point.  The debate started and everyone was offering opinions: broken or not broken.  The next morning it was a pretty shade of purple and green and so I made an appointment to see the doctor.  The appointment was after school and her thumb was looking much better, had I waited until this point to make and appointment we wouldn't have been going.  The doctor didn't think it was broke but sent us for x-rays anyways.  The results were a small fracture just above her joint.  She gets to wear the brace for two weeks and then back to normal - it will put a little delay in her basketball and tumbling career but I'm sure no permanent damage will be sustained.

No comments: