Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Playing with Boys . . .

This is Taylei's flag football team.  It consists of 4th and 5th grade boys from Mona and one girl.  The girl, Taylei, also happens to be the only girl in the league.  I happened to get a curious itch one day wondering if she would be able to compete with the boys.  I discussed it with Andy and Taylei and they were both game for the experience.  We new it could be risky.  She could end up with a coach who had a "thing" against girls.  Or, maybe she would have no skills and would make a fool of herself.  
Of course, none of the worst we could think of happened.  Her coach, Greg Gurney, did an awesome, awesome job.  She was pretty nervous at the first practice but when I picked her up when it was over she said he liked her fine.  
It took her a game or two to get her game on but even when she was still trying to figure the sport out she did awesome.  During one of the games she intercepted the ball and ran it the wrong direction 4 yards before she turned it and ran it 70 yards for a touch down.  She did a great job and was really fun to watch.  She scored touch downs, extra points, got interceptions, carried the ball and pulled a great deal of flags off.  She was aggressive enough at times some of the boys ended up on the ground, kind of like a tackle . .  . Oops.  Taylei ended up with a break for almost a full week but volleyball has now started . . . I guess she will stay in good shape . . . I would much rather have her active than sitting in front of the television or the computer.
I thought I would put in a few action shots to give you a glimpse of how much fun it was to watch her play.  (I think she actually scored on this run . . . deep into the corner.)


I asked one of the boys how he felt having a girl on his team.  He told me it was weird, really weird.  I responded, at least she was good.  He did let me know he was grateful for her skills.
Team members:  Back Row:  Coach Greg, Sam, McRay, Dylan.  Front Row:  Bowen, Taylei, Easton and I'll find out the other two later.

No comments: