Thursday, December 3, 2009

A Little Guy

This is a picture of Aysen on our way home from the hospital.  He is little -- so little he had to do a 90 minute car seat check to see if he could sit in his car seat without turning blue.  I guess it would be hard to design a car seat that fits a 20 pound baby and a 4 pound baby . . . 
Well, if I would have been good and taken a picture on Tuesday you could have seen an even smaller soul.  Aysen had his first Dr. visit.  My mom went with us, she sat in the back seat to make sure he was staying a healthy pink color.  As they went to weigh him, she was excited to see his weight.  She knew it would be 4 pounds plus some.  When they set him on the scale to our dismay he registered 3 pounds 8 ounces, or an official 14% loss in body weight.  Not good, not good at all.  When we were at the hospital his pediatrician was not happy Aysen had lost 3 ounces, he had actually gained one back before we came home. So nine ounces is disturbing.
Dr. O consulted with a neonatologist (I'm learning about a whole new slew of doctors I didn't know existed six months ago).  Aysen got to give a urine sample and blood to the lab for testing.  Some of his numbers came back a little off and so tomorrow when we go in for a follow-up appointment I believe we will be drawing more blood.
We are supplementing formula into the breast milk I pump to try and boost the calorie content and we are doing more skin to skin so he doesn't loose any calories trying to keep himself warm.  He is the best little spirit and sleeps, sleeps, eats, poops and sleeps.  He really never cries and is starting to look at the world around him.  We are all in love with him and hope that we've gained a little weight when we go to the doctor tomorrow.  According to Andy's measurements we are up a few ounces (he is using my mom's dough scales to measure).  I hope he is right!

3 comments:

Bromleys said...

What a sweetheart! And that is so stressful... I'm sorry! You're in our prayers and so is A-Dawg.

Tink said...

OH. Sweet little thing. I hope he's gaining weight.

Marie Says Yes said...

oh, buddy, we love you! i have never seen such a precious picture -- i can't even imagine someone being so tiny! We are praying for our little buddy and you, too. keep us all updated, please.