Friday, August 21, 2009

An update or two . . .

The first day of school has come and gone.  My beautiful girls are now in the 5th grade and 2nd grade.  Taylei was by far the most nervous of the two.  Not quite sure what is up with that.  It doesn't bother her when the game is in her hand and she has a 3-2 count - whether she is the pitcher of the batter but going back to a school she knows with friends she loves had her in knots.  I took them to school - as our first day tradition and they both ended up walking in smiling.
Taylei had a great year of school shopping . . . even if it didn't almost happen.  Keanna could never find her workbook and Taylei was having a hard time getting hers finished.  I finally agreed that we could cancel the finish the workbook requirement if Taylei's Steelers team could win their Spanish Fork tournament . . .
I took the girls shopping last Friday.  We kind of got a late start when we left at 6 pm (why don't malls stay open until at least 11?)  Our first stop was JCPenney.  Taylei had a much easier time finding things she liked than Keanna did.  Tay went into the dressing room with a dozen options and Keanna had three, and those were things I chose and forced her to try on.  Keanna ended up with an adorable dress, a pair of shorts and a t-shirt.  Taylei had double.
We tried Sears but they didn't have anything worth purchasing.  The selection was horrible and the prices were even worse.  Taylei really wanted to hit Old Navy but on the way back out to the car they decided to look for shoes.  By the time that whole ordeal was over it was 20 minutes until 9, with no time to make it to Old Navy.  We wandered the mall and when we walked past Aeropostale, Taylei had to go in.  I was quite surprised.  She fell in love with almost every t-shirt but most weren't available in the x-small size.  She ended up choosing 3 - which happen to be the favorite.
Keanna was baring this all with patience but was a little depressed.  She hadn't found much that excited her and her belly was starving.  We purchased dinner at Red Robin and the girls were so much fun to eat with.  This energized their souls and we headed to the only store still open - Walmart.
Keanna did much better here and finally got a little spark in her soul.  We made four different trips to the dressing room and the girls were satisfied that school could start.  I did a little grocery shopping and when we got back in the car it was 12:19 am.  I threatened the girls that if they didn't stay awake for the drive home I wouldn't let them wear their new school clothes.  I know this sounds a little mean but it was the best way to make sure I stayed awake as well.  
Andy was in bed fast asleep but he was lucky enough to be deprived of his rest to have a junior fashion show.  He kept commenting when they would walk in, "That outfit is totally Keanna," or "That looks just like Taylei."  Both girls have unique styles all of their own but both are so totally them and cute to boot.
So . . . . the outfit that was chosen for the first day . . . .  The second day she wore levi's and an Aeropostale hoodie.  And today, believe it or not she is in a dress - so common for Keanna but Taylei usually only wears clothes that will let her compete at recess to the best of her ability.  
And for Keanna, the winning first day outfit was a dress . . . most of her clothing was skirt related.  She is also sporting a brand new hair cut which is totally adorable on her -- I just should have given in a few months earlier.  It was so straggly before that she would comb it out and then 15 minutes later it would look like it hadn't been combed for a week.  The second day she wore an outfit I'm proud to say that I chose and today she went to school wearing levi's and a cute t-shirt.  She has worn different shoes each day.   She would/will win the shoe queen award at our house.
The girls in front of the school.  The lighting is horrible . . . the architects should have thought about what they were doing . . . and thought about first day of school pictures.  The weather has been so weird lately, 70 degrees one day and 100 the next.  This morning it was cool enough for the use of a jacket.
And, just so you know, Taylei's team did take first place in the tournament.  They didn't even have to battle their way through the loser's bracket.  Taylei had an amazing tournament.  Her hitting was incredible and she only had two real fielding errors.  She even hit the game-winning run in.  She is tough I tell ya.
Uncle Jason was taking pictures which I'm so grateful for.  This happens to be one of my downfalls.  This picture is my favorite.  She knows how to swing, how to play the game and look at the toning of her arm muscles.  I sure wish I could say she gets it from me . . . 


4 comments:

AndyW said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
AndyW said...

The girls look good in there first day of school outfits. Tina didn't mention that I was a good sport for about an hour of fashion show after 1 am. I was way sad when I was told that Keanna had 6 inches of hair cut off, but when I saw her, it looked really good. She is a cutey!.
Taylei's tournament was way fun. She hit the ball very well for that tournament. She usually always hits the ball, but they rarely get out of the infield. She is aggressive at the plate and ends up swinging at anything close. I've had to work with her to be more patient. Wait for that really good pitch, and it has started to pay off. She was crushing the ball into the outfield almost every at bat. She brought the Rain!!! (her bat is named rain, and the phrase "Bring the Rain" was taken from transformers)

Marie Says Yes said...

can i say, how cute that your husband comments! the double b just makes me read something to him if he is mocked by a post i made. so i can say whatever i want! (and i do.)
they look adorable! i love the ensembles, and you are a good sport. i saw keanna at the cabin and her hair is adorable!

Ducksoup said...

awesome post tin. great details with what they wore the first, second, and even third day of school. your girls will thank you later for such important knowledge. that is a pretty sweet picture of tay! and you should make it so i don't have to type in a password everytime i leave a comment. and i am with marie, it is impressive andy comments.