The elders quorum in our ward decided to have a party: a NO RULES pinewood derby. Everyone started out with the same kit and they could modify it in any way. The age range of attendees were about 22 to 50, all men who embraced the idea. Andy and some of his friends were totally engrossed with it. It was fun to listen to them and the crazy ideas they shared. Andy chose to power his car with co2 cartridges. He fastened/added additional wood to the car and then bored holes into the back to hold the cartridges. His design was to flip a mouse trap that was attached to the base of the car with nails placed to puncture the cartridges when flipped. Andy spent lots of time and his car looked really cool -- He did just have one problem -- the spring DID NOT have enough power to puncture the cartridges. It was a little bit sad. He worked so hard and I would have loved to have seen him succeed. The winning car in the ward was powered by a rocket engine (it made it down the track in .83 seconds, the one time it didn't explode off of the track). And for those of you who don't know, rocket engines explode. I didn't realize this until I noticed that directly under my pant leg was the engine, the on fire engine to be more clear. I did get smart after this and whenever this car went down the track I stood on a chair. The event has been scheduled to take place again next year. I believe they will hold it in the summer where the event can be held outside, fire in the church really wasn't a good idea. Andy has already started thinking what kind of car he will create.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
It's about time they have a "No Rules" pinewood derby. I'm impressed with Andy and his brain power. I do hope he kicks some but next year.
Post a Comment