Friday, February 6, 2009

The Power of Thumb

Mary Dawn is complaining that I haven't posted. My excuse isn't quite legit since I do have 2 sometimes 3 additional computers in my home but I seem to be out of my groove. On Sunday night at midnight, I was adjusting the screen on my laptop to defer some glare when, I heard glass break. I had placed my thumb on the screen and the pressure caused it to break. For a minute I thought that maybe I hadn't actually heard the breaking sound but the screen didn't recover. It basically whited out the middle two vertical inches. Ughhhhhhhhhh! When I showed Andy what I had done the next morning he was nice enough to take action. I was hoping he could take it to the SimplyMac store in Orem and have it fixed and bring it home that day. When he called them he found out the cost would be $700 to $1,000 -- is that the most ridiculous thing you have ever heard? The computer new was $1300. I was instantly furious and wanted to quit technology altogether. I figured that if they can break that easily I would spend my whole life replacing screens and bury myself in computer debt. I felt that I could plant a lot of flowers and vegetables for that cost so I would spend my time burying seeds in the ground in stead. Andy told me not to give up that easily. He ended up researching and found that he could buy a new screen and install it himself for around $95, and purchase a "namebrand" screen for $170. The installation didn't look too hard either but he also felt we should take it to "Apple" to see if they would warranty it. They have a store at the Gateway in Salt Lake. I made an appointment and we headed up on Tuesday afternoon. Well, they said they can't warrant damage that I caused. But, if I would buy "Applecare" for $250 they could get it fixed for me. So, I purchased it. I don't feel like I got robbed but I don't feel all warm and fuzzy. I'm sure their cost for a new screen is about $85 tops, and the information Andy could find said it would take 45 minute to replace. So, even if their repair guy is making $100 an hour they are only $160 into the deal, I paid $250 for a warranty that will not cover me if I stick my thumb through the screen again. So, the moral to the story . . . my thumb is unusually strong and if I ever threaten to "thumb" you, you better run for your life because who knows what kind of damage I might do. To finish the story. It is going to take Apple 5-7 days to do my 45 minute repair. I am sitting in my basement typing this, not quite my bed or my sofa that I've grown to love to "blog" on.

6 comments:

Dan,Lisa,Zeak,Jake,Kaci said...

I agree the couch is much more comfortable than the chairs downstairs. Can't wait til you get your laptop back

Bromleys said...

That was quite the experience! Sounds like something that would happen to me. It also makes me think of how I have pictures from 2002 to the present, which I have not backed up yet on my computer. I better get a move on, cuz if that's what a thumb could do, I'm sure I'll manage to have my eyelash wipe out my hard drive.

Ducksoup said...

pretty cool your thumb is so strong. i must say though i'm glad you've learned to realize that desktop computers actually function too!

Marie Says Yes said...

SERIOUSLY, tina. i am afraid of your thumb now!

Unknown said...

PUUUUULEEESSSEE..NOT THE THUMB!

I've had my iMac a little over a year now and I love it!

Don't plan on going back to a PC and definitely not M$

David P from LR,AR

Enjoyed your humorous story.

Beans Blog said...

That was a hilarious blog...i am still laughing at the mental image of you running after me with your thumb raised...screaming. Hahahahahahah