Saturday, February 21, 2009

A Late Night Party

Taylei chose to not get her birthday gift card this year (I try to bribe them with a $75 gift card if they will NOT have a party). When this decision was made we had a problem, what kind of party did she want? If I would let my girls they would always choose a sleepover but sometimes my nerves aren't up to it. Taylei was given options, to take a few friends and go bowling or to a movie, or invite a few more friends over and do a late night party with dinner and pajamas. She invited 7 friends and they were really WILD. Diane came and helped with the first of the party and then Paul brought Mollie and helped with the second half. The party consisted of individual pizzas, each girl making their own. Diane taught them a tootsie roll game, the girls had a ton of fun with this one and we played it for quite a while. Taylei went to a sleepover a few weeks ago and learned to play the "Rowdy Game." She has been begging to play it ever since. This game, for those of you who don't know, is kind of like hide-and-seek but in the dark. The girls all claimed it was TOO dark and were afraid that the boogey man lived in the basement. Most of the time they didn't make it down the stairs but no one wanted to quit playing either. Pretty funny! We also played the M&M game, Follow-the-Leader, Fuse Beads and had root beer floats. For me, 11 pm couldn't come soon enough. The girls were wired and I was so grateful that they weren't spending the night.
This is the adorable group of girls Taylei invited.  Sheryse, Tyler, Megan, Becca, Megan, Darian, Taylei and MaKenna.


The M&M game - when you roll doubles you get to suck an M&M to the end of a straw and put it into a cup.  You get to do this until someone else rolls doubles and then it is their turn.  The game ends when all of the M&M's are gone.  Taylei is passing around a book that they rolled the dice on.  She is super competitive so she decided to do this to speed things up a little.

I thought I bought plenty of pizza toppings.  Taylei hates ham and so I only bought one package of canadian bacon - her friends loved it and most of it was eaten before it even got put on their pizza.  
This is the tootsie roll game.  Everyone except the roller has a tootsie roll attached to a string.  The roller calls out a number she is rolling for, when that number is rolled she gets to slam her lid to the ground.  Anybody who doesn't get their tootsie roll out of the center soon enough has to give up a tootsie roll to the roller.  After the roller captures at least one tootsie roll, her turn is over and another person is the roller.  The game ended with only minor injuries.  I think the girls had a few burns from the yarn they were holding onto and a tootsie roll got cut in half.  I think we will be playing this game for years to come.

Taylei did keep asking throughout the night if the kids could just spend the night.  When we were taking the girls home and were down to the last girl she pleaded that she could spend the night since it would just be one friend.  Even though I still said no, you sure can't blame a kid for trying.

4 comments:

Jill said...

Happy Birthday Taylei! I can't believe you're as old as you are but I'm sure glad you were born! Love ya most! Aunt Jill

Marie Says Yes said...

i'm not sure how i missed this post, because i'm pretty much rabid about checking them. wow! you are courageous! you can give me a $75 gift card and i won't have a party if you want. :) what a great mom. i hope i can become radical like you sometime. i'll keep working on that . . .

Bromleys said...

Why does this groovy party not surprise me? Oh yeah, because it's for YOUR daughter and you remember a little club called 4H. I seem to remember you going all out for that as well. I'm calling you for ideas next time I throw a party for Lucy.

Ducksoup said...

awesome party tin! i still remember talking to you earlier that day...you worked the entire day, went to do treats for taylei's class, and somehow still pulled off an amazing party. for this to happen in my life, i would need at least an entire week to plan! you are amazing! happy b-day again taylei. i still can't believe you are already 10. it seems like only yesterday that i became an aunt and could never get enough of you.