Wednesday, July 29, 2009
Genesis Chapter 4
I made it to the Old Testament and I have a goal of reading every page. A few years ago I decided I was going to read the Bible. I say I believe in it but I haven't read it so what does that really mean? I didn't end up reading very far when I wasn't sure I believed it at all. So weird. Andy, being the wise and perfect man which he is suggested I read the New Testament instead. Over the course of the last year plus I have read the Book of Mormon and then moved on to the New Testament, then to Doctrine and Covenants and I finished the Pearl of Great Price yesterday. Now, I just have to conquer the Old Testament. It is REALLY long. I'm not sure how it is going to work out for me. Andy suggested that I get a study guide and just read the important parts. I know it is a good suggestion but one I'm not going to heed at this time. Mollie told me when I was discussing this with her a while ago that even though I might not understand or agree with much of it I will still be able to say when I meet those prophets of old that I did read their book. I'm hoping my brain remembers more than I realize (stored somewhere in the 97% I don't use). So, here is to good hopes amid giant doubts. The next time through I plan on doing the study guide thing, heading the suggestion of my husband. But for now, only 1200 pages to go . . .
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Your so funny. I think you've got a great goal, and I'm excited that your going to meet the prophets well prepared. When you meet Isiah, will you petition him for a re-write that can be understood at a 7th grade reading level? Or at least provide a companion book to explain the original. By the way, I'd skip Psalms. ;-)
tina, you are a champion! what a goal! you can do it!
i laughed MY HEAD OFF in the "it's weird" section. it's super weird. i track this down to how mankind has evolved. but it is also my mom-in-laws favorite book after much study and prayer, so i know you can conquer and even enjoy it.
i read the required seminary reading (so basically old testament condensed) in two weeks my junior year, and by the end of the two weeks i LOVED it. i need to do it again. you inspire me.
p.s. don't get bogged down in the books of the law. just get through them. and remember, joseph smith said song of solomon is an uninspired work. that is my advice to you. GO, FIGHT, WIN TEAM TINA!!!
Good Luck woman! All I can say is, you will have a great experience. I didnt do it til my mish.. I'm sure glad I did and you will be too. Think temple in some spots and you'll see similarities.
Post a Comment