Thursday, July 23, 2009

I lied!

Just for the record, it was NOT on purpose.  My previous post let you all know that there were NO softball games this week.  But, I don't always know, you know.  Co-Ed softball started today and not only did it start I actually played.  Our team sometimes struggles having enough girls.  This was not the problem at the beginning of the games.  The status changed when a girl took a hit to her nose.  To have 5 boys play you also have to have 5 girls play.  So, off to my favorite spot as catcher.  I even had to bat 3 times.  I'm terrified of batting.  O.K., maybe not of batting but of getting hit by the ball when they are trying to throw me out at first.  My first batting attempt I was walked - with a grateful heart.  When I went to first, I asked for a runner.  The other team thought this was a little much but when I explained I was pregnant I was congratulated and allowed the base runner in peace.  My second at bat I was instructed to hit by my dear husband.  I hit to short stop and when I got 5 steps from 1st base I had to slow down to make sure the throw would NOT hit me.  I am TERRIFIED of being hit.  Taylei was watching me and boy, she was unimpressed.   FYI - I was thrown out.  On my third at bat I actually got an awesome hit to center, safe at 1st and both Andy and Taylei were quite happy with me.  We did win the game.  The season has begun and we are 1 and 1 (I didn't have to participate in the first game).

On a most excellent note, the tree I passionately hate, the chinese elm in my backyard which causes me to weed 100,000 (literally, no exaggeration) extra weeds in the summer has been cut down.  Andy was assisted by my brother, Paul and his friend, Skip.  I guess it was really intense for a few minutes.  The tree was huge.  I tried to tell Andy he didn't need to rip it out, I would hire it done but he took care of business (as Taylei's softball team would say).  The stump still exists.  I would guess it is about 20 feet high.  The branches are still in the yard, they are too big to move all at once and it got dark last night and it is a little dangerous to use a chain saw in the dark.  I keep threatening that I am going to run for Mayor of Mona and make chinese elm trees illegal -- an annual fine of $1,000 if you "forget" to have any existing trees removed.  Not really that great of a platform . . . the sad part of this story is that my neighbors, the Veater's have sold there home and are moving.  Kayla reassures me it is only 6 houses away but we never saw each other when they lived next door.  They were awesome neighbors . . . 

5 comments:

Tink said...

Tina, is this really you???? Posting so soon!!!! I'm impressed! You're a brave soul to be playing softball right now! Good thing they let you have your base runner!

Jill said...

Yeah - it's so nice to read about your life again! You be careful playing softball and I'm happy that your tree is gone also - I've had one of those before - they are stupid trees! And sorry about your neighbors - they really are nice people but I bet they'll still be nice people living in their new home. Love ya most! Aunt Jill

Marie Says Yes said...

what? COUSIN?!?!?!
again?!?!?!
this is the seventh happiest day of my whole life!!!!!
i am glad you were thrown out at first. what is the point of losing teeth to a softball?
you are a champion.
congratulations on your tree! men are very manly and useful sometimes, aren't they.

Ducksoup said...

i had no idea you had such a good hit. way to go! i bet i'd have struck out three for three.

Bromleys said...

I can't believe how much you get done woman. Maybe you need to school me a little bit. First your house then your back yard (that tree anyway). Hope you're feeling good.