Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Direction and Undirection

Do you ever go to blog and you have no real idea where to start?  This happens to me on a quite frequent basis.  Maybe I would actually blog more if this wasn't my reality.  It may also help if I didn't get behind and felt like I needed to catch up before I added anything new . . .  I'm first going to write about the current drama . . . it all started five days ago when I went for a check up appointment with Dr. O.  I officially measured 28 weeks and should have measured 34 weeks.  Five weeks earlier he also had the same findings.  He requested an ultrasound then and when it finally happened a week later the results were the baby was about the size expected.  This time, after the fifth ultrasound the results were quite different.  A Friday ultrasound appointment was not available and so on Monday we learned the baby was too small -- officially -- almost lagging 4 weeks for the expected stomach size.  Dr. O. got my results and sent us to see a perinatologist -- defined according to google: a high risk ob/gyn.  Today Andy and I went to find out what the specialist had to say.  The ultrasound came in too small -- as it relates to the stomach and femur.  The head was just where it should be.  Is that not incredible.  The baby's body is smart enough to know that the most important body part is the brain and to keep the brain healthy the nutrients he is getting are directed there.  Totally amazing.  The Dr. says the baby knows things aren't as they should be and so extra efforts are going towards the lungs to try and get them developed as well.  The calculated weight of the baby today is 3 pounds 13 ounces and she is hoping it might make it to 4 and a half pounds with two more weeks in the womb.  That is SMALL!  She would rather the baby be delivered where a NICU is present because of the size.  She also feels like Aysen's two main problems will be eating - he won't understand it all since it has been weeks since that was part of his system and maintaining body heat - that he would need to be in a warming bassinet.  Dr. Gainer (our perinatologist) said she would call us with a new Dr. who delivers at Utah Valley and they would set up a time when we are suppose to be at the hospital on December 2 -- 37 weeks.  In the meantime, I'm suppose to have a stress-test done twice a week and pay attention to fetal movement.  No bed rest is required but I'm also suppose to not exert myself either so the baby can have maximum blood flow.  We also learned that my uterus seems to be the problem, the placenta doesn't have good places to attach too.  If we were to have future pregnancies (which is out of the plan) the same problem would exist.
I was feeling great with this information -- not the November baby I was hoping for but Keanna's birthday is on November 2 -- so I can count that as the double I was looking for.  But since 11:30 changes have come.  Since we went in to the Dr. six hours ago we have learned that Utah Valley Hospital is NOT covered on our insurance.  Also, while I was out and about the Dr. called and left a message saying she wanted to talk to me regards to delivery date -- so the plans of December 2nd are up in the air . . . and where to have the baby . . . and I was feeling so good about having a plan and now there is no plan.  I know it doesn't really matter, hopefully with a fresh start and phone calls in the morning we will have it all worked out again . . . patience is a virtue.

6 comments:

Marie Says Yes said...

Wow, F.C. the 2nd... this is heavy! I am so thankful that this baby miraculously knows what to do -- and am praying all will be well and you will have a plan tomorrow morning STAT!!! We will be praying for you and all will be well!!

p.s. not that it matters at all in the grand scheme of this situation, but your writing was very beautiful.

Dan,Lisa,Zeak,Jake,Kaci said...

He could for sure be called your miracle baby who needs to be here and Satan doesn't want him here. Can't wait to meet him and know that with all the prayers things are going to be ok. We Love you All. We are just 5 houses away.

bj said...

Love the name, Aysen. Our prayers are with you and I'm sure everything will turn out okay.

We had the same thing with Kennadie only it was at 36 weeks. They called it IUGR, her head measured at 36 wks but her body didn't so they said she needed to be out eating on her own b/c the umbilical cord was not giving her enough nourishment.

Keep us posted and take care!

Bonnie said...

Wow Tina, I did not know all that was happening. Some neighbor I am. I will keep you in my prayers.

Bromleys said...

Oh man! That is stressful! I can't wait til Aysen is here safe and sound. Thanks for the update!

Ilaria said...

I'm thinking about you LOTS and sending prayers and positive thoughts out for Aysen and his mamma!!! Stay positive, and you'll see: they'll help you with a plan SOON (they HAVE to!). Please, keep us updated. Lots of love from far, far away!!