Saturday, December 20, 2008

Snowed in at the Airport

Well, if any of you have no idea who this picture is let me educate it.  This little girl's name is Taylor and she is one of our new friends.  You seem to make friends when you get stuck at the airport for 8 hours waiting to board your plane.  We are in Arizona for Christmas and because of our horrible driving experience last year for Thanksgiving we were excited to fly instead.  I'm not sure that this was any worse or better.  Thirty minutes before our airplane was suppose to take off it started to snow.  It snowed and snowed and snowed and snowed.  The plane we were supposed to board circled the airport until it got low on fuel.  It was then diverted to Boise.  A few hours later the plane made it 50 miles from the airport and then was sent back to Boise for the second time.  The plane finally landed around 9:30 pm and we were in the air just after 10 pm.  Instead of being in Arizona at 4:30 we made it just before midnight.  It was a really long trip.  I can say how grateful I am that we got to wait it out in the airport.  I know I would have went crazy if it had been me on the plane.
There were no chairs to sit in when we got to the terminal so we made ourselves a campsite on the floor.  It really ended up being in a really good spot away from most of the bustle.  Taylei spent a few of her hours watching a movie on my laptop.
Kyler made a few trips to the gift shop and one of his treasures was this airplane.  It only ended up under a few peoples feet a couple of times.
Taylei and Keanna packed their backpacks full of books and coloring books.  A few more of the hours were spent with crayons in hand.
You can see that after a while our "goods" spilled out of the bags and our spot grew.  I got quite a bit of the book "Recovering Charles" by Jason Wright read.  I have now finished it and I would highly recommend that all of you read it too - just plan on shedding a few tears.
Granny was lucky enough to have a wheelchair to sit in.  By the end of our stay she also found a friend - a lady also in a wheelchair that was heading to Phoenix to be with her son.  Granny kept a good eye on all of us but was really worried about my kids staying where they needed to be.
Taylei became an expert at checking the tv monitors.  We made it to our hotel/condo at 1:30 am.  I was so excited.  I think I ended up carrying in one bag -- Andy got all of the rest.  All except for one.  I think I got the bag out of the car and set in on the curb and forgot about it.  Hopefully it can be found soon -- it has Mary Dawn's and Andy's aunt's Christmas presents inside . . .

No comments: