Sunday, December 7, 2008
Granny's Christmas Party
Granny (her official name is Devona Iona Hansen Sperry Bailey but when I started having children she became Granny so there wasn't any confusion between her and my Mom) looks forward to her Christmas party all year long. Growing up, the party was always at her house. It was a pretty full house, her and grandpa K.J., 5 children and spouses and 24 grandchildren and held on Christmas Day. The family has grown, most of the grandchildren are married and there is no room in her home any more. For a few years, the party was held at my parents house but we outgrew it pretty quick. We now use a church. My aunts go to quite a bit of work and every year they come up with another activity or two. This year they added karaoke to the mix. My children all had a really good time participating. Granny might have been the best sport of all and she sang with Diane.
Kyler didn't sing along to the right words but he sang the lyrics to "Jingle Bells" and "Itsy Bitsy Spider" a couple hundred times. He wasn't afraid to sing out in public and had the most adorable looks on his face.
Part of the tradition is having Santa come. The children get to sit on his lap and he brings them a present. They have to patiently hold the present until everyone has theirs. Keanna and Taylei were both given Pixos and Kyler was given his first Lego set.
Taylei was in a very photogenic mood and I had a great time taking her picture. She participated in all of the events - karaoke, bingo, hulahooping, basketball, crafts, and manicures. But, of all of her pictures this one was my favorite. I better also mention that the food at this event is delicious. Everyone brings one or two items - the traditional favorites are: cut-glass salad, caramel, ham/pickle/cream cheese wraps, rolls, cheesie potatoes, stuffed mushrooms, cheese balls, and artichoke dip. These happen to be some of my favorites for sure.
Andy is always up to participating in a basketball game. The popular ones at this event are Speed and Tip-It. Andy was the proud winner of one of the games and Aunt Jill furnished him with a prize. For those of you who don't know, this is how Tip-It is played: Everyone playing has an order of who they follow. The first person shoots and if the shot goes in he gets to got to the foul line and continue shooting until he misses. When or if he misses, the person following must get the rebound while they jump in the air and shoot a basket before their feet hit the ground - this reckless kind of shooting continues until someone makes a basket and then they get to go to the free throw line. I think each free throw counts as one point and the game usually goes to 21. I've never participated in this game but it looks really fun. I enjoy watching Andy participate in sports - I envy his athletic ability.
Taylei and I spent a few minutes singing karaoke together. I sure wish I had more of a voice. I tried to pretend that people weren't within earshot of me and have a good time with Taylei. Taylei has no apprehension at all being on any kind of athletic arena but singing is not her cup of tea. She did a great job but was pretty shy about it. Keanna isn't shy at all - much more a performer than the rest of us.
Keanna is the pretty girl - she was really quick to make sure she participated in the manicure. She chose a bright red color and they didn't dare paint them without my permission. She came to me and got permission but when she told them it was okay she must have sounded suspicious because they still came and asked. If it was Kyler then there would have been a need to check - he is famous for saying that he has permission when he hasn't asked.
I couldn't resist adding one last picture of Diane and Kyler. She is trying to collect cute pictures of my children to go in her classroom. She asked him for a kiss, expecting it on her cheek but he planted it smack dap on the tip of her nose. It turned out pretty cute.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment