Monday, May 24, 2010

I'm not even kidding . . .

Kyler often wakes in the middle of the night.  Tonight was no different.  Andy usually gets up with him and takes care of his needs.  From the hallway, I heard Andy tell me something sounding like, "It is snowing."  I didn't want to believe I heard him correctly and translated it into something with a much pleasurable meaning.  When he climbed in bed a few minutes later he dashed my hopes and confirmed the snow statement was correct.

My alarm has been going off for the last few weeks at 6 a.m.  I have been meeting Lisa at 6:30 to go on a little walk, a few morning we've tried our bikes and on bad weather days we use a video to direct our exercise.  This morning when I looked outside I realized my husband understated the outdoor conditions.  It was a BLIZZARD.  In case you didn't catch the date, May 24, 2010.  May, not November or January or even the April Fool's day snow I was complaining about.  The rule for acceptable planting in my area when worry of a late freeze has past happens to be Mother's Day weekend or if you are more conservative May 15th.  WE ARE WELL PAST BOTH THESE DAYS.  It isn't April Fool's so it can't even consider it a joke.

I was irritated enough by the weather that I stayed awake and watched the torrent of flakes bury my freshly planted flowers.  The noises outside were loud and every so often my home seemed to bear the brunt of the assault.  I was slow to associate the sound with giant tree limbs breaking under the weight and landing on my roof.  Not only was the world being accosted by snow but it was a heavy, moisture packed variety. 


I was a little slow getting pictures and melting had occurred.  This was the last Monday of the school year and we almost needed to use it for a snow day.  When I dropped the girls off at school the power trucks were busy fixing downed lines.  Not pleasant.  Not in the slightest degree.

Kyler was slow to rise and shine this morning.  When he looked outside he wondered where his snow pants, boots and coat were.  He needed to help his dad shovel.  The shining moment in this trick from mother nature was the lesson I learned.  My son is being taught.  His father is an example to him of how to work.  The snow was there, nothing he could do to change it.  He knows when it snows we shovel.  He did the sidewalk and driveway on his own this morning and never complained once.  
My children teach me so much more than I teach them.  I underestimate the blessing and compliment it is to be like a child.

2 comments:

Ducksoup said...

couldn't help but think of granny telling me what good parents you two are after reading about kyler being such a big helper. so props to you from me and granny. i'm sure she smiled down from heaven when she saw kyler shoveling away. so great he's such a good helper.

AndyW said...

Kyler really is a big helper, and I love that about him. He especially likes to build things. This weekend he helped me put together a table that I had purchased for Tina. He will sometimes come find me and tell me that we need to get outside and work on some project. He is a good example of working with his dad. I'm surprised Tina hasn't taken advantage of this yet and instead of coming to me and telling me what projects she wants down, to actually go to Kyler first. Kyler is looking forward to his birthday, because we are probably going to remodel his bedroom, and he wants to paint it blue. About every other week we get reminded that he wants to paint his room. What a fun little boy!