I purchased throw pillows for my mother and sheets for my mother-in-law and since the store was still open I browsed through the clothing section for my boys. In the excitement of the almighty purchase and the amount of ball we play I couldn't resist getting Aysen a baseball outfit (and his laundry might need to be washed and the risk of nothing warm to dress him in may have been a factor).
Grandma Linda was kind enough to sit in the shade with Aysen in the continuous quest to save him from a sunburn. He was smiling gigantic, beautiful smiles but due to camera operator error the perfect picture was not captured. This one is pretty good though.
Taylei and Keanna have a second cousin who we met up with at the ball field. Angie plays 12U ball and is a year older than Taylei. One year. Not 2 or 3 or maybe 4. The size difference is amazing. Angie's parents who I would never consider "tall" get questioned as to where her height comes from. The only person in the family with height he replies is his Uncle Craig. Genetics are a funny thing. I'm not sure how Angie has some size and Taylei has none . . . It was good to see Mike and Stacy, their family seems to be as addicted to the sport as ours.
This tournament went well for our team. We stayed out of the losers bracket which makes playing a championship game so much easier on our girls. Taylei pitched awesome despite an umpire who wanted to CHANGE the way she throws. She has pitched in this division for 3 years and never had anyone question her presentation. I will look for the good and reference the saying, "What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger."
She also loves to slide and slide and slide and slide. Her legs looks like it, her slider is getting worn, but her smile just grows and grows. I love watching her run bases!
A highlight of the tournament: Keanna got her first hit. She was thrown out at 1st but she not only made contact but it was a fair ball! She added a couple of RBI's to her stats.
Andy is great at encouraging the players. Even though she was out she increased her confidence for the next time she is at the plate. The fans cheered so loud for her - the support was awesome.
Spending the day in the winners bracket gave the girls time to hang out and enjoy each other. I'm not sure who brought the eye black but it was a hit. As long as it washes out I won't complain. The numbers they put on the arms actually made it easier to know who was who.
Kyler and Ty - our official orphans. 95% of the time they get along with each other quite well. This is big thank you to Ty for his patience with Kyler. I'm grateful he is a good example because Kyler looks up to Ty and mimics his every move; I still like Ty even though he is a Yankee fan.
The last game was a little ugly. At one point we were down 7 to 1 but the girls came from behind and won tournament number 2. I hate to admit I had my doubts even after they won the first tournament - I wanted to say it was beginners luck but Andy is proving me wrong. When he decides he is going to do something he does it -- especially when others tell him he can't which is his natural motivator. By the last game the weather was cold. Bitter cold to be exact with terrible wind gusts. I wouldn't have stuck around for the next game. Aysen can only tolerate so much time being wrapped in layers of blankets and for Mother's Day I get to give a little talk in sacrament meeting . . .
The coaches -- love their smiles and I expect nothing less when your team is winning.

1 comment:
thanks for the post, those are some fun pictures. I enjoy looking back at those moments and remembering how fun it is to coach these girls. They keep getting tougher and tougher. I still don't think we've tapped the full potential, which makes it more fun....to see what these girls can amount to. Taylei and Keanna are awesome. They both give it everything they have when they step onto the field. The joy I get from doing this, is from watching them. Taylei is a great player, and a great example to Keanna. I see Keanna following in her foot steps. The softball field will be our second home for a few years I'm afraid.
Post a Comment