Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The Luck of the Irish

Grandma Lou had a wonderful St. Patrick's Day party on Sunday.  The event included dinner and games.  The bean bag toss was a new (Grandpa Craig purchased it on Saturday) and it was a big hit.  There were a few people who had great advantages on this event.  The people who arrived early/on time practiced for an hour or so while they waited for the rest of us.
The most sought after award at this party is to be awarded "The Best Green Attire."  Last year, Lisa Woodland won it to Taylei's great dismay.  Taylei has been planning her green for the last few weeks and I'm so sad that I don't have a great picture to show her complete costume.  I think she wore at least 10 green shirts, 5 different kinds of green bottoms, plus the jewelry, socks and accessories to go along with it.  I even bought green paint for her hair.  Keanna joined in Taylei's excitement and ended up with about the same amount of "green."  Grandma Lou split the event in two - one for children and one for adults.  Taylei ended up taking first in the kid category.  Diane, Mike Allred, Mike Sperry and I ended up competing in the adult group.  Our contest turned into a small pageant where we had to answer the question, "Why I deserve to win this contest."  Mike Sperry claimed to be Irish.  Mike Allred claimed to not be a liar like Mike.  I have no idea what I tried to claim.  Diane cried and carried on about how she was the youngest and most neglected but then said she had to tell the judges something privately, I'm not sure what she said but something about she having the largest . . . she ended up winning hands down.  The prize is a hat but most importantly the glory.
The bubble gum blowing contest had a few winners.  The participation rate for this event was almost 100%.  The children also played an altered version of dodge ball (Grandpa Craig, Grandpa Rick and Uncle Mike threw dry water balls at them).  The last person standing was awarded a GREEN dollar.  My mom was amazing and found a green prize or two for everyone.  She even sent home each family with some Irish Spring soap, dill pickle sunflower seeds and a container of green spray and wash.  So clever.
I did happen to get a picture with Taylei and her dad.  You can see a few of the layers just not all that she had to offer.  I'm not sure what she will come up with next year - I'm sure we will end up getting out Halloween paint and if she finds green shoes at the store she will have an extra incentive to purchase them.
The food was delicious.  My mom made cream cheese chicken dyed green and everyone else contributed a pot luck item.  There were green salads, green vegetables, pastas and breadsticks (I neglected to dye green).  The favorite food of the event was brought by Tracy.  She went to a ton of work to create a chocolate fondue bar.  This was complete with strawberries, bananas, cheesecake, rice krispy treats and marshmallows.  Even though dinner was delightful I could have skipped it and saved all of my calories for dessert.  Sooooooo good!

2 comments:

Ducksoup said...

taylei's green looks awesome! i also really enjoyed diane's (somewhat hideous--in a good way :)) costume. thanks for sharing. your blog is how i learn what goes on back in my neck of the woods.

Bromleys said...

What a good idea! That gives me ideas for next year. My parents came down to vegas this year for their anniversary and took us out to dinner. You guys are so creative.