Sunday, March 22, 2009

Week Three

We had many accomplishments this last week in our addition world.  Our basement floor was poured on Monday.  Mike Allred finished getting the siding off of the house.  He also helped with a great milestone - a little backfilling around the foundation walls.  It made me pretty nervous to have the deep holes.  I kept imagining one of the children falling into them.
While I went to the temple with a ward conference temple night, Roger came down after work on Wednesday and helped Andy start laying out the addition.  I think the saying will hold true for me when it comes to this project that the more I learn the more I realize I didn't know.  I don't think I have been ever less involved in an undertaking in my life.
The major changes happened on Friday.  Andy called all of his brothers and father to see if they would help him with the framing.  I think he wanted to be able to tell the townsfolk that his dad framed our addition (he has great respect and love for the work his dad's work).  Terry had a softball game on Thursday night and so they (Terry, Greg and Jason) didn't arrive until 1 am on Friday.  Roger took the day off work and they went to town.  My dad came out and volunteered his time as well.  The weather couldn't have been much more perfect.  It seems like spring and winter are having a constant tug-of-war, one day it is nice and the next it is freezing.  Terry kept asking me questions and I had to tell him to talk to Andy, I had no idea. 
For the faint of heart, I wouldn't recommend that you spend much time at a construction site.  I kept thinking that most of the things they were doing were way too scary.  If I would have been doing the same things I would have been visiting the emergency room.  I guess I really don't think my klutziness has left me.
Andy thought it was pretty cool that his truck was getting in on some of the action.  He still loves his truck and it must make it more manly when it hauls a little lumber around.  
This picture resembles a meeting of the minds.  Andy and I are so blessed to have the fathers we do.  They are standing out on our future deck and I'm sure Terry was explaining something to my dad.  My dad definitely isn't a framer but he was still a lot of help (especially when it came to cleaning up).   Another thing I've realized - construction workers make some big messes.
Kyler loved every minute of this adventure.  Someone gave him a hammer and he nailed, and nailed and nailed.  He became extremely frustrated every time the nail would bend and he couldn't get it to work.  He loves being with his dad and all the uncles were an extra bonus.
In the middle of the framing project they also took the sheeting off of the house so we could have it replaced with some "blown in" insulation.  The energy credits should make it so it doesn't actually cost us anything.  The insulation you see in the picture only stayed overnight.  The insulation company brought rolled and we were suppose to have blown.  I guess it was too late in the day for them to do anything about it so they put in the rolled insulation and then came back on Saturday morning, removed it and put in the "right" stuff.
Andy does look pretty good with a tool belt around his waist.  I've been amazed at all of the tools they put into all of the different compartments.  I bet it ways 20 pounds.  I sure do love this guy.  His mind is completely occupied lately.  I have been so impressed with all that he knows.  He tries to explain building things to me and I just act like I have an idea of what he is talking about.  I'll leave the worrying up to him, he seems to be doing enough for the both of us.
I'm pretty sad I didn't end up with a picture of everyone.  All of the brothers were here except for Brian (he lives a little too far out of the area).  I think Roger misses working with his brothers and dad.  They all knew what they were doing.  As you can see in the picture a mouthful of sunflower seeds is also required. Four to five years ago I made a grandparent scrapbook page.   It is still a favorite today, the only problem is: it isn't done.  It was when I was involved with a scrapbook club.  I wanted to highlight mine and Andy's parents.  So someday our grandchildren will know what they loved or hated.  The problem is that I don't have any pictures of them in their daily activities.  When I saw this one I thought it would be perfect on the page.  Only three more pictures to go.
Andy was hoping that the project would be completed by Saturday night but they didn't quite get there even with Tom and Jeff's Saturday help.  They ended up having a gynormous problem with the trusses that created major delays.  They did get the exterior walls done and Terry did a basic layout to help Andy finish the interior walls.  
This is the look from the backside.  I hope it end ups looking pretty nice.  I still can't wait to have some brick put on it.

3 comments:

jonnycake said...

Hey there cuz. Your house looks great. It made me miss working with Terry and your brother in laws. And yes you need a mouthfull of seeds to truly frame. Try it, youo will be banging walls together like a pro:).

Bromleys said...

Wow! Is it seriously only week three. That is impressive and a lot of work. Your house is going to be even more amazing.

Beans Blog said...

Yes! Kyler with a hammer! I love it. And i always wondered where the Wilkey's got the mouthful of seeds thing from. They don't drive anywhere without them. P.S. i updated my blog if you want to see how it turned out.