Sunday, February 21, 2010

Birthday Wishes

Eleven years ago today, my brother-in-law, Greg, was having his missionary farewell.  He was preparing to depart for a mission to Australia - half a world away.  Andy and I were planning on attending said event but on a Thursday I had a check up with the doctor.  I was 8 months 3 weeks pregnant and wondering if I could travel to St. George still.  Dr. O. said I would be fine to go, hospitals were along the way.  

Andy still thought he might make the journey, he could just run down really quick (if 3 hours is quick) and then hurry back.  His mind was changed Sunday morning.  We went to the hospital around 6 am and my water broke shortly after.  At 4:12 in the afternoon, Taylei joined our family weighing a healthy 7 pounds 11 ounces.  She was and will forever be his favorite birthday present ever.

When we found out we were expecting he knew we would have a boy . . . a girl was NOT a possibility.  He was disappointed when he found out she was a she but any disappointment vanished the moment he held her for the first time.  He loves her and they have a special bond.  They wouldn't be any closer if she was a boy.  

And now we celebrate the day they were born.  They always choose to have Pink Cloud Cake with ice cream.  This year they were still celebrating the tournament win and the Olympics were in full swing making the birthday even sweeter.

Andy -- I love him.  All of him, from the tip of his toes to the top of his spikes.  He is my favorite, number 1.  He is the father of my children and patriarch of my home.  He fixes all that breaks from computers to figurines.  He unloads the car and taught me to carry 7-10 grocery sacks at a time so I can make fewer trips.  He gets lost in his dreams and goals but because they are given so much thought most become reality.  He gets up in the night with our children and is the one to turn on the shower for Kyler at 3 am (why would you want a shower at 3 am?).  He is successful in almost all sports and has the sexiest legs, believe me, I keep comparing and verifying this fact.  He enjoys life and has a positive attitude.  He is mine and will be for eternity.

Taylei -- I love her too.  She is responsible and smart.  She was given her father's athletic ability and excels at all things physical.  She looks great in gym shorts and a t-shirt but just as comfortable when she dresses up.  She has drive to accomplish and a normal day usually includes a mixture of: chores, school, piano, basketball, volleyball, softball, homework, sewing club, tumbling, pitching clinics, scripture study, birthday parties, games, reading, helping with Aysen and on rare occasions a friend.  Her lamp is on late finishing last minute homework and she will still wake up early to workout with her dad.  She seeks for perfection.  She is friendly and happy to help others.  She still has areas to improve and isn't perfect by any means but she is a joy and I treasure having her as a daughter.

Happy Birthday to two of my favorite people in the world -- I hope this year is one of your best ever full of happiness and growth but not the kind that happens around your belly . . .

1 comment:

AndyW said...

wow, thanks for the birthday post! loved all that you said. I'm embarrassed to say I was disappointed when I found out my first child would be a girl, but that was the last time I've been disappointed. Taylei really is amazing. She is so dedicated to everything she does. Even when she was 2 years old, everything had to be perfect. I can't remember how many times we'd snuggle up to watch a movie and I had to smooth every wrinkle in the blanket. She has turned into one of the fiercest competitors that I know of her age. I also love that fact that she is so helpful and encouraging. I know she gets that from her mom who is a great example of helping others. Taylei is also way cute, which she also got from her mom, thank goodness. She is also in tune with what is good. She went to a party where they had planned to show a PG13 movie. She knew she wasn't allowed to watch it, and she had the courage to tell her friends that. I'm grateful for her courage, and to all of her friends at the party who respected her, and adjusted the movie selection. She also reads her scriptures regularly and loves to attend activity days...where she can be uplifted by other girls her age. She is also very good with her brothers, and most of the time, with her Sister. What a great blessing she is to me.

Happy Birthday Taylei, and thanks for being so special. Love you Lots, Dad.