Monday, February 15, 2010

Scrapbooking

I like to scrapbook.  This is a fact.  I like to purchase scrapbook supplies.  This is a fact.  
I seldom make time to enjoy my hobby.  This is a fact.

Six or seven years ago, Andy's cousin, Sulena, came to visit and saw my scrapbook room.  She saw the paper, punches, scissors, stamps, stickers, trimmers, adhesive, ribbon, etc. I have purchased and in her awe repeatedly asked, "Do you know how much money this costs?"  I tried to tell her to be quiet.  I ride Andy on occasion for the money he spends on his hobbies, back then it was archery and hunting, but he never said anything about the money I spent.  This is an advantage of taking care of the bills, he never looks at my receipts.  For a while I would not make a trip to Provo without stopping at Robert's Crafts.  I looked forward to Monday's when I could check their new ad.

I used to be a member of a scrapbook club that met once a month.  We worked on layouts, cards and tags.  I usually made the samples and everyone else copied my ideas.  This was hard on my marriage because of the time it took but it was very gratifying.  I would get two double layouts finished each month.  All good things come to and end and eventually so did this.  I was back to owning scrapbook products and not using them.  I eventually grew wiser and only purchased limited supplies on rare occasions -- no need to dust paper.

Then the world went digital.  Perfect!  All that I need to make a page can be transported in a bag.  If I want to join a friend or go on a retreat I need nothing more than my laptop (apple) and a power supply.  The only problem with this solution is the HUGE learning curve of HOW.

I have been able to take a few classes and I have learned a thing or eight but my knowledge is just a drop in the bucket of what is available.

The long story short is:  Tracy decided to have a little scrapbook party at her abode Sunday night and Monday morning.  I really thought I might pack up my "paper" supplies and spend a little time cutting, gluing etc.  (it is gratifying to be hands on) but when the time came to leave it was so much easier to load up my lap top, grab Aysen with his needs and head out the door.

I completed six pages, not enough to win the "most completed pages" contest but I'm happy and feel accomplished.

Here is a sampling . . . 




I need to start another scrapbook club - all digital.  It would be so easy for people to grab their supplies, alter the layout to their pictures, enjoy a dinner someone else cooked along with a sumptuous dessert (my favorite part) and share the evening in good company.  The best part about it would be the sense of accomplishment and someday my posterity would thank me.  If I'm not careful I really will talk myself into this . . . it might just help me accomplish one of my goals to get a layout published in a scrapbook magazine.  The dream has moved to the back burner over time and hasn't been achieved.  The biggest deterrent is the requirement to document the source of all the elements on a page; I seldom remember what was what.  Yet -- there's still time and with a few hundred more hours and some extra classes I may cross this off my bucket list. 

1 comment:

Dan,Lisa,Zeak,Jake,Kaci said...

I'm in sign me up I miss those nights of scrapbooking! Although life was a lot simpler than. The kids were younger and not so involved. But I am so game one night a month shouldn't be to much to ask.