Sunday, February 7, 2010

The Weekend on Ice

Meet Grandpa Craig, the patriarch of the Sperry family.  He is my father and I love him so very much.  He is NOT the World's Best Skier but he does ski.  Something he tried for the first time at about age 40 with lots and lots of lessons.  What a great example.  He doesn't go down the hill very fast but he goes and seldom more than once a year.  He is a great example, he loves, he gives and he shares.  My children love bucking bull rides, the cabin and partaking of whatever he may be feasting upon, be it cheese, cereal or Slurpees.  And, as long as I don't follow his example of fashion I should turn out alright.
Now, on to the patriarch of our home.  He may have garnished a new nickname from this tip to the world of snow, Mr. Patient.

Taylei was told she had to ski even though she was begging to try snowboarding.  Her wrists along with the rest of her need to stay healthy for her softball career with games only two weeks away.  I thought Andy and I had agreed on this but he hadn't been to work for more than a few hours on Thursday when he began calling me with prices for snowboards, from retailers to ksl.com.  His hunt was successful and he came home with a complete package deal and Taylei received an early birthday present.
He even found her some styling snowboard pants.  The hill was winning the battle for the first of the morning but as soon as Andy got to start helping her things improved in a hurry.  She graduated from the bunny hill to the Navajo lift.  I am happy to report she came home 100% intact, and even gained new muscle.
Keanna loved skiing.  She was up and ready to go first thing.  I'm constantly amazed at how she just takes care of herself.  Uncle Paul, Taylei, Keanna, Dawn M. and I went sledding on Saturday night in the middle of a snow storm.  After the first time down the hill Keanna informed me she had snow in her boots and was NOT wearing socks.  Why I questioned?  She couldn't find them and was not worried enough to ask anyone for help.  Paul fixed her snow pants to keep the snow out and she didn't mention it again.  I'm sure she was fine, she informed me she had thrown her hand warmers away because her hands were roasting.
Keanna went out by herself on Saturday morning.  When Andy came back to the condo with passes she headed to the hill.  A nice passerby stopped and helped her get her skis on.  She has such confidence in her ability.  Andy kept saying he would put her on a ski team if we lived closer to a resort.
Kyler also earned himself a new nickname:  Mr. Whiner.  Oh my, he was horrible.  He hated all of the snow gear.  The socks didn't fit right; he wanted to wear his little socks.  He didn't like how his hat fit, nor his goggles, nor his boots.  He was so excited to go skiing all week but that attitude was left at home.
Andy purchased this harness to help the girls learn how to ski.  Kyler had no problem going down the mountain with it on.  Andy controlled his speed and the crashes were at a minimum but he never learned to "pizza" and didn't enjoy turning.  He preferred the direct route down utilizing the "french fry" approach.  His face is a direct reflection of his attitude while on skis.
This was the skiing group -- Taylei, Keanna, Dawn, Grandpa Craig, Ryan, Diane and Garrett at the top of Navajo.  I only made it out to ski Friday morning.  Grandma Lou ended up sick and I spent my time caring for Aysen.  
Andy and I began our courtship on the slopes of Brianhead.  He loves to board and one December night 12 years ago he decided my home would be a great place for him and his brothers to stay after night skiing.  He invited me to go along with them.  We had a great time (night skiing is on the bunny hill which is pretty close to my ability level).  To establish the correct account:  He was crowding ME as we rode the lift.

He is an awesome snowboarder.  He likes the hard runs complete with jumps but he doesn't get the opportunity to board on his own anymore.  He spends his time helping our children.  One day, sooner than I realize, the kids will all be grown and he will be able to go down the runs of his choosing.  When that day happens I hope the children still choose to ski/board with their dad but maybe they will be the teachers.
Back in the condo, things were happy.  Maybe skiing just isn't Kyler's thing.  He might go straight to a snowboard.  
Movies were watched in abundance.  The food was bountiful.  Andy and I slept on a king sized bed and I now wonder why we don't have one in our bedroom.  It was a great trip and I'm ready to start planning for next year.

1 comment:

AndyW said...

Forgot to mention thanks to the Wilkeys for the use of there condo. We sure love being able to have a family vacation to the condo and skiing/snowboarding at Brianhead. All in all, it was a very successful trip. Although I would've liked to "crowd" Tina on the lift just like the good'ole days. I was very pleased with how well the girls take on the mountain. Keanna is so fast. I think we all bore her. I think she is the fastest skier in the bunch. She was constantly down the hill quick and then looking back waiting on everyone. Taylei did a brilliant job on the snowboard. The only problem she had was her first experience on the Navajo lift. She made up her mind that she wasn't ready for it. Before she started, it was an "I can't" attitude. I pointed it out, and the next time down, she changed her attitude and she had two minor crashes down the whole run. She did awesome. Kyler...well, when he wasn't whining about everything, he actually had fun. He went down the mountain very well, as long as I controlled his speed. Next time, we'll work on "pizza" (snow plowing) to control his speed. I loved the vacation, I loved this post....Thanks TINA