Thursday, February 25, 2010

Olympic Junkies

Our family has become addicted to the drama, the stories, the races, the heartbreak and celebrations of the Olympics.  We only have needs to watch television a few times a year: March Madness, NBA Finals, the World Series and then bi-yearly we need to watch the Olympics.  Andy thrives on watching competitions when people are giving it everything they have plus a little extra.  

Our evenings for the last two weeks have been monopolized by basketball, basketball practices, softball and softball practices.  With part of the evening taken up by everyday busyness we have been cheating on our Olympic watching and viewing it from my parents home.  They use TIVO and we save time by fast forwarding through the commercials.  It seems to condense a 4 hour broadcast to under 2.  Last night, Andy thought we had tonight free and was disappointed when I reminded him we had an appointment to do our taxes.  Taylei gets done with tumbling at 6:15 pm and taxes weren't until 8:30 so we chilled (ate lasagna while watching Bob Costa and the Olympic contestants) at my parents home while we waited.

My dad had a kidney stone attack last night.  We all smiled to see him up and about taking a minute to transport Kyler around the room.  The power of modern medicine.
I never really learned if there was a goal to their play or if it was just Kyler loving the attention and spoiling.  Some of my fond memories of my Grandpa K.J. were when he would put us in the "Bear Trap" or when he pretended he was going to use us as a human rug.
A few evenings ago my dad was sitting at the computer looking at old pictures.  Kyler jumped on his lap and was uncharacteristically interested.  He was amazed that his grandpa used to be "small" but the biggest revelation was in the fact that grandpa used to have dark hair.  My dad has salt and pepper hair and it has slowly transformed over time from mostly pepper with a few speckles of salt to the complete, total, all-encompassing exact opposite.
Even with modern TIVO technology you can't fast forward past the scheduled end time.  Eleven p.m. is a little late.  Our hearts are willing to stay awake but our bodies don't seem to have enough gusto to manage.
I'm certain the earliest we made it home this week was 10 pm.  Next week we should be better parents and our children will see home by nine at least one night.  (Aysen is sleeping peacefully on my lap).
Taylei . . . she just couldn't make it.  Grandpa took pity on her and carried her out to the car.  Even though she weighs less than 70 pounds she is still getting to big for this.  (I must admit in my youth I pretended to fall asleep on our drive home many times in hope I would receive the same treatment).
Go TEAM U.S.A.!

2 comments:

Ducksoup said...

love the post tin and love the olympics too although we've hardly watched any. i am ashamed to say that... i think if the upstairs tv actually worked i would have a whold different story to tell. i am hoping to get in a little bit on the men's hockey championship. how cool would it be if they own gold :). dad tried to walk with braden on his shoulders this morning. he even tried to convince braden that kyler liked it, now i can see the evidence. awesome pictures and post.

AndyW said...

I have enjoyed the olympics very much. My only regret is not watching more of it....but I have to admit, I was involved in much better activities. (except for the taxes, atleast until I learned what our return was. )
I love watching the will of the human spirit to push the limits to become the very best. It was fun to watch the athletes, and the highlights that were done on them to give a clearer picture of what they had to overcome to be in the olympics.
I also love the olympics because it is something that Tina and I enjoy together. A big thank you to Craig and MaryLou for hosting us several days these past two weeks while we found our way there to enjoy the olympic games.