A few weeks ago in the interest of safety, I decided to embrace technology and program some speed dials into my cell phone. Soon after Kyler wanted to call his father. I taught him to push and hold the number 2 on my "little" phone and dad will answer. He uses this to his advantage -- during the softball games last week he wanted to call his dad. I told him he COULDN'T. A few minutes later in the middle of the game Andy is telling Kyler it isn't a good time for him to talk. He had made the phone call I told him not to. After he hung up, Kyler told me, "See, I COULD call dad."

If I take a minute to learn from this situation instead of thinking of ways to punish my son, I could realize my Heavenly Father is just one prayer away. But with prayer, the line is never busy, the service always has 5 bars and the battery is never dead. This makes cell phones seem so much less vital. I can talk to Him anytime, anywhere -- the best security blanket.
Andy took everyone but Aysen and I down to St. George to cheer on the 12U Steeler team. (I didn't want Aysen to have to make the drive). I was leaving for Nephi and couldn't find my phone anywhere. I called it again and again and again and wandered the house listening for the ring. I finally called Andy and asked him to ask Kyler if he knew where it was; he had used it earlier in the afternoon to call his father. He responded he had no idea where it could be.
The next day, Andy got a call from my phone and answered, "You found it."
He then heard Kyler in his ear say, "Hi dad. Want to talk to Grandma?" (Andy had left him at her house playing with Josie). Ughhhhhh!
After later questioning he informed us he took it and hid it in his bag. He wanted to be able to call. I'm not sure many 4 year olds have cell phones and I don't plan on supplying him with one in the foreseeable future. On the other hand, maybe he thinks of it as a security blanket knowing his father is only one button away.
4 comments:
Great post about Kyler. He sure is a great kid. He is so fun because of his abilities, and for his growing wit. He seems to really be witty when he is with the Veaters. Everytime our good old neighbors come by they have a new story to tell about some funny comment Kyler made. He must be learning from Keanna, she is the master of wit in our house, and I know she didn't get that from me. I'm slow as molasses in the winter.
For the record, I like getting Kylers calls, he is always so cute to talk to...but often his timing is bad for making that call. He is going to be a lot of fun this year. It is his first year for playing t-ball, and he is looking forward to soccer already. I sure love this kid.....and all my kids.
what a cute kid. also, what a profound comparison. you are so wise.
Thanks for the post I love Kyler our kids are teaching us more than we are teaching them I'm afraid. Or maybe we are just finally humble and mature enough to learn. Thanks for teaching me today, Kyler and Tina:)
now i know why you didn't have your cell phone. maybe you need to teach kyler how to text so he can at least respond to me when i'm trying to text you. smart boy :). i can't believe he didn't fess up when andy asked him where your cell phone was :)
Post a Comment