Wednesday, April 21, 2010

I love . . .

Picture January 2004

Today I stopped by the elementary school to drop off a flyer for kindergarten registration. Keanna was surprised when she passed me in the hall. I inquired why she was out of class. She responded she was on her way to recess. This wasn't what I was expecting . . . she had a book in her hand.

"You are going to read a book for recess?" I questioned.

"Mom, I love reading . . . ice cream . . . and softball" then as an afterthought, "and math," she quipped.

What am I going to do with her? I knew we had an excessive reading problem at home but until today I honestly thought her recess activities consisted of hopscotch, jump rope or maybe even kissing tag but reading?

I changed the reading rules at our house last week and I AM now going to make sure it is upheld. For every fiction book read a non-fiction book must also be read before they start reading the next fiction book. I also better purchase some of the classics for her reading enjoyment.

I'm not complaining. This is an easy peasy lemon squeezy kind of a trial. I just best adapt and use some of the time she spends with her nose in books to her educational advantage.

Keanna . . . love the girl.

4 comments:

Jill said...

Once again... she reminds me of a daughter I have. I've learned that when Marie was younger she would hide her book under her desk top and read while she was supposed to be learning something else. But, she knows so much from this favorite hobby that I appreciate her knowledge and use it for myself. And - I don't believe anyone in Washington County was quite as excited to see the new book on the biography of Franklin D Roosevelt as she was last week at Costco. She picked it up and rubbed it and smelled it as though it were gold. And - I guess to her it was. So - it's not a bad thing, Keanna does like other things - softball, math etc. :-) You'll probably eventually have to learn how how to properly care for books and to hold them as you read then so the binding doesn't get broken. And if you do break the binding on the book you'll never be able to read one of her books again. NEVER! Just ask Jonnie. Sure -"books are to be enjoyed but they are to be respected to, and besides you want them to look nice on your bookshelf". It makes it nice come birthday, Christmas, Mothers Day time - just get her a book. That's what Marie always wanted books, and movies. However, at one time I thought I had quite a collections of both. When Marie married 3/4's of them left with her because they were hers.... Love ya most! - Aunt Jill

Bromleys said...

Oh, if that were every mothers trial. Ha ha, you lucky duck. I love to watch Lucy's face when I read to her. I wish I could be in two places at once sometimes.

Marie Says Yes said...

I am glad to hear she likes math. PLEASE make sure she is not reading during math time, because if she is -- it is all over. Now would be the time to tell you I don't know how to divide.

Let that comforting thought lull you into sleep tonight.

bj said...

I think that is awesome...! She will always be easy to buy for. How is she doing on the Harry Potter series? Linc & I just started Goblet of Fire, but we only read one chapter a night, it will be a while before we finish it!