Saturday, April 3, 2010

Orange, Yellow, Pink, Blue, Pink, Blue, Blue . . .

And number 12 is orange. 
The above order is extremely important once a year during the annual Sperry easter egg hunt.  The games goes something like this:  Everyone has their own carton of eggs numbered 1-12 with their individual names.  The eggs are combined into a giant basket and scattered throughout the yard (this is the only time of year I feel my parents yard is too big).  You are required to find your eggs IN NUMERICAL ORDER and place them back in your egg carton, one egg at a time.  Each year I swear I'm going to train for this event.  Each year I don't and I regret it afterwards.  You see, there is a monetary award for the male and female who complete the gathering process the fastest.
I was quick for the first three eggs, having the color order memorized eliminates the need to check so many eggs.  But, on egg number four I looked for green instead of blue.  This mistake was costly, costly monetarily and costly physically, I NEED more stamina.  Andy did win, he is in so much better shape than I, he was still running when I had resorted to a slow power walk.
Nikkii won the girl competition.  Mike likes to harass my sister-in-law.  I had to take the above picture to document this fact.  When she is upside down he can spank her bottom without her having many methods of retaliation.  Kynlee didn't seem to worried about it, this may be a common ritual in their lives?

I loved this picture of Mary Dawn, she happens to be the runner in the family but in this race she came in dead last.  Not because her stamina waxed slim, you can see by the way her hair is blowing the speed of her sprint wasn't the problem.  Maybe next year she will memorize her color order and make the game a little easier.
Ryan was awarded dead last for the boys -- not a good day for the Meier family.  Ryan and Mary Dawn are training for a 1/2 marathon.  He might have completed his 5 miles of training for the day and not had any energy left?
Paul was the most prepared.  He didn't want anything to slow him down.  He was willing to endure the physical discomfort of being cold so he wasn't bothered by the bulk of a jacket.  If you look closely he even wore his cleats.  I believe he will do the same thing next year, it may have given him the extra boost he needed to beat Mike to the finish line by 17 steps.
The grandkids had their own little hunt.  The yard was covered in candy, each of them found a spring outfit but their favorite part was gathering the plastic eggs which were filled with coins -- gold dollars were their favorite.
Paul hid the eggs and when he inspected the yard he found 11 were still waiting to be claimed.  This caused a great deal of last minute panic.
Kynlee was hilarious.  She wasn't about to wear tennis shoes and jeans -- heels and a dress are more her style.  Paul and Kynlee should maybe find a way to level each other out?
Kyler and Kenzee were fun to watch.  They would pick up two treats, keep one for themselves and share the second.  Kenzee is shy and was so timid about gathering anything in the beginning.  I joined her ranks and carried the basket.  This must have given her the boost she needed, by the end of the hunt her basket was overflowing.
Braden, still sporting pajamas, he hates to wear anything different.  I finally realized this is because his bottom isn't big enough to hold up regular jeans.  He spends his whole day grabbing jeans and yanking them up.
Kynlee and Aysen missed the grandkid picture.  The morning snow had melted but it was still so cold outside.
What a fun easter tradition.  The most miraculous part was being able to hold the event outside.  We woke up to snow this morning and snow is still in the forecast.  Spring, where are you?

2 comments:

AndyW said...

This really has become a fun tradition because there is something for everyone. Those Meier's have finished last two years in a row, they need to step up there game! Actually, for the guys, I think I lost last year. I had the unfindable egg. Took me about an hour after the game to finally find the last egg that somehow ended up well outside the playing area.

The old kid easter egg hunt is a hoot, Taylei and Keanna I think prefer to watch it than to actually participate in there own. There is a lot of competitiveness that comes out in all of us, complete with trash talking and promises for the next season.

Only 364 more days to train so I can be ready for next season. I better get out and run some sprints and ladders.....

Christy said...

You have such a cool Mom! She always does such fun, memorable things for holidays. I want to be like that when I'm a grandma!