Thursday, March 4, 2010

Chore Charts

Kyler wants to be like his sisters.  He wants to have chores so he can earn money.  (A few months ago we cleaned out his piggy bank and took the money to the bank.  He is so upset about this -- he needs it back so he can buy dragons.  Isn't it Mary Poppins where the children don't understand banks?  Kyler could have been in the movie but he wouldn't have been acting).

The girls chore charts have 16 jobs to complete a day.  It really isn't as bad as it sounds, more than half of the tasks are things they SHOULD be doing but I added them on 1. to help them form good habits, 2. to fill up the space so my chore chart would look "cute".  Examples of said chores, brush your teeth (morning and night), prayers (morning and night), apply lotion, read, read scriptures, finish homework.

One of Keanna's chores is to swing a bat 100 times and do 50 push-ups (whatever I can do to help her get her game on).  In creating Kyler's chart I figured he could do 5 sit-ups and 5 push-ups a day.  Taylei helped him the first time and he had amazingly good push-up form, he was an animal.  He spreads his legs while doing sit-ups, I'm not sure if this makes them easier or harder.  

Lisa and Kaci stopped by for a minute today.  When they were getting ready to leave, Kyler and Kaci decided to have a contest to see who could complete their chores first.  Kyler was determined to beat and before Kaci left he wanted to do his sit-ups.
He has to have his feet held.  He watched the Steeler girls and this is how they do it (Note to self: remind Steeler girls they have a fan who is mimicking them and pray, pray, pray they are good examples).
His face was so funny.  You would think sit-ups were hard for the guy.  It takes him almost 5 minutes to complete 5.  He talks and calculates how many he has left between each one.  He is working on his math skills with real life applications and he doesn't even know it.
He never did finish all of his chores.  I'm thinking Kaci didn't either -- we never got a call from her bragging about her success.  Hopefully Kyler decides sit-ups are easy in the future -- his gym teacher might not be too impressed.  But, maybe his stories will be distraction enough and the counting will get lost in the breeze his mouth creates.

2 comments:

Ducksoup said...

you look georgous. wow, a post with pictures of you. that is exciting. 5 minutes to complete 5 push-ups. i can see him talking in between... sounds just like him. what an extra cute boy.

AndyW said...

I would not have believed it if I didn't get to witness this behavior myself. Tina encouraged him to do some more situp's last night, and it was really funny to watch him do one, then talk about it, count, tell a story etc. before laying back down to do another one. When he actually was in the process of doing the situp, I had to laugh at how he strained to get all the way up for is 2nd situp. He ended up doing like 14, but it took awhile. I'm sure he'll toughen up quickly doing 5 situps and 5 pushups a day! Go Kyler!