Monday, March 29, 2010

A Date with Dirt

The weather was good, the night was free and for our FHE we had a little time in the garden.

I'm thrilled!  Our dirt has a fresh addition of cow compost, 16-16-8 fertilizer, gypsum, iron, sodium, and maybe some nitrogen?  If I new more about science I would say we might have the makings of a good bomb?  Andy used the rototiller (thanks neighbors) to blend it all together and break up the old soil.
I soaked my pea seeds on the counter and they were nice and soft to go in the dirt.  I didn't plant peas last year because of the lack of interest my children showed previously.  But, the Woodland's had peas in their garden and my children DEVOURED them.  Our garden is usually planted the 2-3 week of May.  This is a record for us.  The spring veggies were ACTUALLY planted in the spring before the stifling heat.  I also planted spinach - which I've never planted before - I have no idea how spinach grows so it should be quite the educational experiment.
The evil look - not sure where it came from -
I'm really quite afraid I have it,
more often than not,
and it really is unintentional.  
Maybe if I could train my face to look more pleasant I could have more friends?
The children were supposed to be involved but that seems to last not much longer than the time required to rip the tags off of their gloves.  Kyler keeps begging for a new shovel and rake.  He is going to have to demonstrate lots more dedication to the cause before he gets additional tools.
Taylei watched Aysen in the house while he slept and Keanna was in charge of the outdoor kids.  While Keanna was giving Braden "underdogs" he put his arm around her neck and said, "I love you Keanna."  It melted her heart.

Now, if we can avoid the grasshopper invasion we might actually enjoy some "vegeatables" of our labor.

1 comment:

Ducksoup said...

gotta love braden in his pajamas. seriously, what kind of a mother am i. looks like he was loving it though. what a cutie nanna is and ky looks so cute in that picture.