Sunday, March 28, 2010

Gratitude

This month I have reflected on some of the things I'm grateful for.  So many blessings.

In January, I heard of a boy who drowned while taking a bath with his little brother.  This happens to be one of my greatest fears.  I hate having Aysen out of my site, I know no one would intentionally injure him but accidents happen fast as we've experienced in the past.  A few weeks ago I was checking my daily sites of interest when I found a headline about a toddler who had drowned.  I went to the article and it directed me to the mother's blog.  It was the story of the little boy from January.  I read and wept and read and wept.  She is an amazing writer and so many of her thoughts mirrored my thoughts when Aysen was dropped.  Her testimony is beautiful.  Her post titled "Leftovers" helped inspire me to quit facebook.  Time is precious and I wasted so much reading "status updates."  I realized I could dedicate that same time to my children.  I could ask a person who is sitting in front of me, how their day went.  A conversation of eternal value instead of gossip central.  #1 -- I'm grateful I'm teachable.

We have friends we spend a considerable amount of time with, our children share some of the same activities.  I learned they have some trials they have been dealing with for the past month and have kept to themselves.  They are of good cheer.  They didn't whine or complain or ask for sympathy.   They are embracing the challenges and looking for solutions.  What an example.  I finished the book, "Surround Yourself With Greatness" a few weeks ago and realized I'm doing this with their friendship.  #2 -- I'm grateful for positive examples in my life.

With Aysen's blessing, #3 -- I'm grateful for the support of family and friends.  One of my cousins came to the blessing and her efforts to join us at such an early hour, especially when she had a toddler daughter to arouse from bed touched my heart.  I know it wasn't easy for most anyone with our 9 am church schedule but a family is love.  We receive this love in abundance.

Andy was working on the dishes tonight and grabbed the jar where our snail resides (as a plug for snails, they are the best pets, they sit in a jar and eat whatever vegetables you have available, if vegetables are in short supply, weeds will also do).  We debated for a few minutes if the snail was still alive.  It has been in hibernation for the winter.  Did it survive?  Andy rinsed the jar and gave it some fresh lettuce to see if it would awake it from its slumber.  The tulips and dahlia's are getting ready to blossom.  The garden should get peas planted tomorrow.  Daylight Savings Time.  #4 -- Spring, another thing I'm grateful for.

And to list a few more --
#5 -- Washing machines.  Can you imagine standing at the riverbank, especially with winter temperatures?
#6 -- Disposable diapers and wet wipes.  Speak for themselves.
#7 -- Granny - for her opinion, even when the world didn't agree she stood firm in her beliefs.
#8 -- People who comment on my blog.  Seems a little vain, and although this blog is really for me it is nice to know other people enjoy my efforts.
#9 -- Giggles and Laughter, when my children are happy my soul smiles.
#10 -- Andy.  If I listed what he does for me it would take days, but for today, the simple act of caring for Aysen in the morning so I can roll over and sleep on my belly.

3 comments:

Marie Says Yes said...

first off, livi was just looking at the picture of aysen from his dr's appointment and she cried "oh mommy, that baby is so CUTE!" he is, too.

secondly, gratitude is the story to a happy life. i am convinced this is the secret to joseph of egypt's success (just in case you were a fly on the wall in this week's sunday school class in the hurricane 14th ward). i am grateful you have so many blessings. you are worthy of them!

thirdly, this adorable blog design update distresses me terribly. i LOVE it. which means i can no longer live with my ugly blog. which means you need to start working on designing MY blog. immediately. STAT!!! code red. blue. code orange, as well. get working on it. right now. right away. this second.

the end.

Gail said...

I am grateful you realize how blessed you are. When Aysen was born, on the way home from the hospital, I remember telling Craig how incredibly blessed we were. There was no complaints or sadness that you couldn't be at the blessing, just joy that everything was all right and it truly was.

Cris Durbin Family said...

On of my favorite qoutes is from Marjorie Hinckley: "Appreciation unexpressed is not appreciation."
I am so thankful for you and our friendship. I am so thankful I get to surround myself with greatness!