Wednesday, March 17, 2010

The Luck of the Irish

The official green day consisted of traditional corned beef and cabbage.  It was edible but not delicious -- why can't we have a holiday with Japanese food?  I'm still craving california rolls and whatever Dave fed us a month plus ago.  Since we aren't beer drinkers maybe we are missing the key to a delicious Irish meal.

Grandma Lou had her St. Patty's Day party.  She decided this morning to host it tonight and the kids had a wonderful time.  Grandpa Craig was a great sport wearing his St. Patty's bow tie.  He had a captive audience for quite some time as he tossed or threw (depending on the age) a sock at the children.  
We had much anticipated guests arrive - Ken and Yumiko Morishita - straight from Japan.  Yumiko home stayed with the Dave Wilkey family 20 years ago.  We were with the Wilkey's a bunch that year and grew close to Yumiko and her roommate Kyoko as well.  Ken gets a 10 day vacation every 10 years and they chose to come and visit our families.  Lynnie, Hailey and Annie plus children were their escorts.  
Keanna instantly took to them.  She has a fascination with learning and Ken patiently showed her how to write her name with Japanese characters.  As an important side note: Keanna won the "most green" contest in the child division and I chalked up a win in the adult division, Diane felt this was unjust but you have to take advantage of every circumstance.
Taylei -- homework, homework and homework.  She had fun partying with us but at 10 pm she was busy with her books.  Her posture is absolutely horrible in this picture and it is an exact reminder of the position I used to do my homework in.  I remember my Grandpa Ewell telling me to sit up.  I would go blind if I was that close to my paper.  I need him around to encourage Taylei to get a few more inches away from her paper.

3 comments:

Gail said...

it was a fun party - maybe next year we need to come up with alternative St. Patty day foods!

Marie Says Yes said...

That is one stylish tie. and you are the coolest mom ever, because i want green hair.

i do not, however, want corned beef and cabbage. the closest i will come to that is the mcdouble.

Diane said...

Tin, I can't help but think you didn't post a picture of us because everyone would then agree with me - your win was unjust!