Tuesday, March 16, 2010
A Rad Kid
Keanna has been thrilled with the RAD Kids program the school has hosted this year. She could hardly wait for her graduation. She was instructed to wear comfortable clothes, gym shoes and no large hair bows - she didn't forget and dressed to make sure she would have every advantage in freeing herself from potential attackers.
They teach the children to throw elbows, kick the "sweet" spot and "pepper" the eyes. I hope these are all skills she never needs to use but just in case I'm so grateful she has been taught. With all of the funding shortfalls this year volunteers were needed to make the program happen. I'm grateful for the two ladies who willingly gave their time to make our children a little more safe.
The second grade has the largest class size at Mona Elementary - 59 students. Amazing! I haven't spent the time I had hoped in Keanna's class this year but when I do get to go I always leave with two thoughts. #1 -- I'm so grateful for teachers, this isn't something I'm capable of. #2 -- The future of America really is in good hands, the children in her class have such diverse personalities with tremendous potential. Too bad the potential is for both good and evil. If we could just figure out how to embrace their good, the world could be an amazing place.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
It's good to teach the kids how to defend - and oh so awful that there are so many people out that wanting to hurt them so we have to do so.
It was fun to watch Keanna, and all the other kids ward off the attackers with there sweet skills. I'm also grateful for good teachers at Mona Elementary. They do and excellent job of educating my kids...and making it fun. My girls love to go to school.
I sometimes use my skills for evil. Can we still be friends?
Post a Comment