Friday, March 26, 2010

Fast or Slow?

It is science fair time again at Mona Elementary.  This year's project was much less involved than last years.  This was both good and bad.  The good: Fewer hours involved.  The bad:  Last year her dad and Grandpa Terry spent hours debating and figuring, Andy was NOT into this one and I know it would have been better had we inspired his interest.
My brother, Mike, gives Nikkii a hard time anytime she cooks anything in the microwave.  He knows it cools faster than if cooked on the stove top.  I've heard this theory as well and Taylei decided we could test it.  We used pudding -- this way we could enjoy the fruits of our labors.  

Things went south on the experiment for a couple of reasons : #1-- I was sick, so sick there was no way to get up and help her and Andy didn't have the "vision."  #2-- Guests arrived to visit for the evening, we love visitors but it couldn't have been worse timing.  Andy focused his attention on them (which was polite) and Taylei watched the thermometer by herself.

I would have loved to have repeated the experiment a few times to compare results but this wasn't in the cards.  The good thing was Taylei did it on her own.  Sometimes Andy and I have a hard time relinquishing her projects.  
The best part about this year: We made it to the science fair on time (I must state we were on time last year but a teacher ended it early) so we experienced no tears from a heart broken daughter.  

And, for your information, microwave food does cool faster but after 10 minutes it was only a 4 degree difference.  Not enough to start a revolution.

1 comment:

AndyW said...

I didn't even know that the science project was due until the night before. I almost think I was left out of the project on purpose. Dads sometimes take things to an unnecessary extreme. As far as reading the measurements, it is Taylei's project, she can read the measurements. I guess it would've been good for me to "double check" them. We had an issue where the pudding actually raised in temp. All in all, it was a good idea, and it was interesting to see the results. It felt like an episode on Myth Busters, because I've heard the same rumor about Microwave heated foods cool quicker. Good Job Taylei!