Saturday, January 9, 2010

Morning Number 2

We are still in the hospital.  Aysen is sleeping at the moment.  I'm hoping he wakes up soon.  He is still sleeping quite a bit more than normal . . .
The second CT scan was completed yesterday with great results!  The bleed on the back of his head has cleared completely.  The bleed above the right eye has decreased in its pronunciation - another good sign.
Around 2 pm yesterday he got to lose the papoose.  The head "boss" neurologist guy came in and approved its removal.  It did have its advantages though.  You didn't have to worry about holding up his head, the brace did that quite well.  It also helped him with a binky.  He wasn't able to turn his head to the side and gravity did a great job holding it in.
We were released from the PICU at around 3:30 pm and given a room in the Infant Medical Surgical Unit.  This room has many more benefits, the main two: cell phones are allowed and food can be eaten.
When we arrived a whole new set of vitals were taken along with his weight.  When the nurse gave a weight of 3.08 kilograms and it converted to over 6.6 pounds I was extremely confused.  Less than 24 hours before we were told he weighed 5.9.  I couldn't understand how he could have gained 13 ounces in such a short amount of time.  After a few minutes, we realized it was our poor interpretation.  5.9 pounds was interpreted as 5 pounds 9 ounces when it was really almost six pounds.  The bread scale has once again gained its credibility. 
The second item of interest involving vitals was the temperature.  This unit does temperatures rectally.  RECTALLY.  I thought that was something from the dark ages.  They argued that it is the most accurate reading and that infants don't usually find it as bothersome as an under the armpit reading.  Aysen is my first child to endure this form of torture.
I did ask about the possible respiratory problem the x-ray showed.  They said it could come from him holding his breath and through this process I have learned this is something he does.  So, no real concerns there.
He has been given a little Tylenol to help with his headache and he did have a slight fever during the night.  They took out an iv so now we are down to one.  It sounds like he will get to have his anti-seizure medicine for a week to a couple of months.

Break for the Doctor visit . . . 

It is 11:57 and we have been given permission to go home!  As soon as the discharge orders are posted we will be on our way!

5 comments:

Diane said...

Hooray! Does this mean I have to give your other 3 children back?

Marie Says Yes said...

Yay, Aysen! Yay, Heavenly Father! Yay, the whole world! Peace on earth, good will toward men!
keep us posted, buddy.

Dan,Lisa,Zeak,Jake,Kaci said...

Great, Amazing, Wonderful, Awesome, So relieved hopefully I sleep better tonight and I am not the mom. You need a nap call I will come and help while you have one.

Tink said...

That is good news. We'll keep praying for him!

bj said...

We are so happy he is doing better...we'll keep praying for him!