I found this picture taken of the both of us. If any of you know Granny you would probably try to deny this could be her. Her hair was her pride and joy. NO ONE, and I mean NO ONE was allowed to touch it, breath by it and rain was something to fear. I wish I could remember the history behind the picture. Why did she consent to wearing the mask? When were my chicken arms replaced with the old lady variety? Was the gold couch ever really in style? Will she forgive me for posting this picture of her on the world wide web which is an evil abomination in her mind?
To a classy lady who I learned so much from. I miss you. I miss your treat cupboard. I miss playing on your old white fence. I miss the Andy Griffith Show. I miss having you climb in my twin bed with me in the middle of the night. I miss your silk nightgowns which were always TOO revealing when worn by grandchildren you were trying to dress in proper sleeping attire. I miss your passionate hate of republicans. I miss putting coins on the rail road track just waiting for them to be run over. I miss going to Mini World and Fritzi's. I miss having melted cheese sandwiches which to this day only tasted good when made in your home. I miss asking you for a piece of gum. I miss all of the meals you cooked which were so nutritionally balanced. I miss the funny shaped pillow you slept on for so many years to minimize damage to your hair. I miss your handicap parking pass. I miss going to The Serve. I miss being called a "spoiled little shit." I miss shopping with you. I miss eating twist cones from Fros-T-Freez while listening to you and your friends gossip while we drove around town. I miss hearing you tell stories about Fountain Green, which was almost as perfect as the biblical city of Enoch. I miss your homemade candy. I miss watching you sweep/sweep with a towel/mop on your hands and knees/dry with a towel the kitchen floor while you cuss me for trying to come inside the door I have been trained to use. I miss hearing you cuss the referees for making a "bad" call against BYU or the Jazz. I miss hearing the story of Etta Mae Ras %*#,the story of grandpa kissing the girl in the movie theater who had a big enough bosom to knock him unconscious or you chasing my dad with a hair brush. I miss your phone calls telling me what a perfect posterity you have. I miss your smell. But most of all, I miss having you tell me you love me, that I'm one of your most prized possessions and more importantly, your actions radiated this love. I love you Granny. Thanks for being you! I hope I can become more like you each and every day.

To a classy lady who I learned so much from. I miss you. I miss your treat cupboard. I miss playing on your old white fence. I miss the Andy Griffith Show. I miss having you climb in my twin bed with me in the middle of the night. I miss your silk nightgowns which were always TOO revealing when worn by grandchildren you were trying to dress in proper sleeping attire. I miss your passionate hate of republicans. I miss putting coins on the rail road track just waiting for them to be run over. I miss going to Mini World and Fritzi's. I miss having melted cheese sandwiches which to this day only tasted good when made in your home. I miss asking you for a piece of gum. I miss all of the meals you cooked which were so nutritionally balanced. I miss the funny shaped pillow you slept on for so many years to minimize damage to your hair. I miss your handicap parking pass. I miss going to The Serve. I miss being called a "spoiled little shit." I miss shopping with you. I miss eating twist cones from Fros-T-Freez while listening to you and your friends gossip while we drove around town. I miss hearing you tell stories about Fountain Green, which was almost as perfect as the biblical city of Enoch. I miss your homemade candy. I miss watching you sweep/sweep with a towel/mop on your hands and knees/dry with a towel the kitchen floor while you cuss me for trying to come inside the door I have been trained to use. I miss hearing you cuss the referees for making a "bad" call against BYU or the Jazz. I miss hearing the story of Etta Mae Ras %*#,the story of grandpa kissing the girl in the movie theater who had a big enough bosom to knock him unconscious or you chasing my dad with a hair brush. I miss your phone calls telling me what a perfect posterity you have. I miss your smell. But most of all, I miss having you tell me you love me, that I'm one of your most prized possessions and more importantly, your actions radiated this love. I love you Granny. Thanks for being you! I hope I can become more like you each and every day.
Devona Iona Hansen Sperry
February 6, 1925 -- January 3, 2009
What a beautiful "Dash"
6 comments:
made me cry. feels good though. i've been missing her all day and thinking back to that horrible phone call and feeling of terrible shock. i miss her too.
Ditto Tina.... thanks for sharing - it's been quite a year and oh how I miss my "favorite mommy"! There are no words! Love ya most!
Awesome post way to make us all cry she is a beautiful Lady and your more like her than you think.
how i'd like to hug you and also punch you in the arm in the most loving way for expressing so well the exact same way i feel! that hurt. but i knew it would hurt when i saw "one year" and clicked on it, because i knew exactly what it would be about. i cried. i couldn't deal yesterday. i just tried not to think or acknowledge what last year felt like. because if i can't see it, it can't see me... right? didn't work too well, but i'm so thankful for the savior and the atonement. i KNOW i will see granny again. and you will, too. for that matter, we will see each other and chill like villains -- very righteous villains.
beautiful tribute, tina. seriously. beautiful.
That was the day we left to go back to Vegas last year. Remember? So sad!
Also? Did she live in Fountain Greene (sp?)? Because that's where Steph's father's side comes from. Her grandma lived there until she passed away. I went to visit her with Steph a few times back in the day. They probably knew each other, don't you think?
Anyway, I'm sorry the holidays were hard this year missing her. Hugs!!!
So nothing like doing a little blog stalking while my students are in the library... Good thing they are gone for a bit, so my tears will dry. You put missing granny so well. Just the way I feel. At times it feels like she's been gone forever, but then I have a hard time believing it has actually been an entire year. Thanks for the post Tina!
Post a Comment