He may have moved on to hunting dogs at that point. I finally conceded in letting him get one when he agreed to name the dog Ian. A nice name and all, but not one I wanted for our children. From his point of view, it was a name he found worthy of a future son. My best chance of eliminating this from posterity was to have a dog with the name. You CAN NOT name your child a name you called your dog. (Although you can marry someone with the same name you called your goat).
The interests continued to come and go. Archery, now this one lasted a while and he even used the equipment after it was purchased. Mountain Biking, mostly brand new to this day. Four-Wheeler, one of my favorite seldom used pieces of property, the trips up Mona Pole and hauling flowers around the yard are very worthwhile.
As of late, his thoughts are consumed with -- SOFTBALL. It isn't a self-interest. It is an interest for our daughters, but because Taylei is older, the focus is on her. But, it also isn't just him thinking about it. Taylei and Keanna are obsessed as well.
I was looking through some old photos and found this picture. The year is 2005, our daughter is 6. Andy and I coached her team. Do you see the raw talent? NOT! I'm guessing no one would have bet a dime that she would turn into a player.
Four years later she is sliding under a tag. Dirt doesn't bother her and she wouldn't know what to do if her legs had less than a dozen scabs and bruises.
She also pitches, hard and fast. I was a catcher in my younger years. I was not good but I have an understanding of the basics. I quit catching for Taylei 1.5 years ago. It wasn't worth my writhing on the ground in pain from a bad pitch that had an uninvited collision with my knee.
I truly hope Aysen learns to enjoy the ballfield. Most of our time will be spent there this summer.
This isn't going to be a hobby that goes away. I won't complain. Andy spends time with our children improving their skills. Kyler was hitting from a pitched ball at age 2. Keanna got the only double play in the history of coach-pitch softball. Our kids know what they are doing because of the time Andy spends with them. He is a great dad. Have I mentioned that?
P.S. -- Yes, it is January, there is a foot of snow on the ground, the temperature seldom reaches above freezing, and yes, SOFTBALL has begun. Anyone want to buy a pizza?
2 comments:
(Although you can marry someone with the same name you called your goat).
I had to laugh at the above sentence that you wrote because Luke married me and he had a goat named Heidi while growing up... :)
Rude I say, I'm guessing you might know Andy's family had a Tina goat! O.K. -- It really is funny, easier to laugh than cry. Thanks for commenting.
Post a Comment