On the way to the hospital on Friday night, Andy made a request. He said, "You've got to figure out how to be a little more nice to me when bad things happen and not close me off." My response, "I hope I always treat you this way. That we don't have any more of these kind of experiences for me to learn a different behavior."
This probably isn't one of my top qualities. When something bad happens I become numb. I don't feel. I don't want to talk to anyone and especially not Andy. I'm not sure why it works this way but I will admit this is the case. After Aysen was dropped, I called Andy and told him, "Something has to give." He politely responded, "O.K. What?" I then, ever so curtly, said, "I don't want to talk about it now" and hung up the phone. A few minutes later Andy called back and I instructed the children not to answer. I did NOT want to talk to him. It really isn't good that he gets the blunt of me. He is still and always will be the better person and he seems to love me faults and all.
My previous posts on the experience seem to just tell the facts. If I leave out all of the emotion I can get through. On Thursday I was feeling pressure. Pressure that I don't accomplish enough. The day flies by and I've not done much more than hold Aysen. This experience has taught me a thing or two. For starters, isn't holding Aysen the much more? Or taking a minute to play Kyler's famous "Car Red Rover" (maybe only really famous at our home). What about asking my girls how they liked school for the day, to ask and really listen. To play a game with them or to help them with a chore?
My home is never clean, it usually isn't a disaster either. It seems to reside in a state of uncluttered filth. We grew up with a poem which my mom had stitched, framed and had hanging on the wall. I loved the poem and memorized it. I might have to place it on my wall:
Cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow
For babies grow up we've learned to our sorrow
So quiet down cobwebs and dust go to sleep
I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep
Aysen won't be small forever. He will grow. Kyler will grow and no longer want to play dinosaurs with me, he will be at Burraston's fishing with a friend. Keanna won't always want me to come to her classroom and volunteer, in a few years it will mortify her. And soon, Taylei will be so good at the piano or sewing I will be asking her to teach me.
I have to learn to enjoy the moments. I can try to be on time but if I'm late it isn't worth getting upset. What will the frustration solve? Spending a day at the softball field when the weeds are growing at home lets my girls know they are worth my time. Then there is Andy, how many times do I not take an extra minute to kiss him goodbye? Or why don't I sneak him a note so he can know I'm thinking of him? Family is most important but do my actions prove I know that?
Today after they made it home from church I was napping with Aysen. When I finally made it awake we gathered to the front room. Andy was once again teaching me. He was taking the time to let our children know they are worth his time.
Believe it or not, no one ended up crying for too long from this wrestling match. I also can't wait for the day when Kyler and Aysen are tough enough their dad can't handle them all at once. I'm sure it will happen, in another 13 to 15 years.
Today we had sisters who chose to dress alike. Even though they were wearing the same shirt they still had their own style.
Then we have Kyler and Aysen. I KNOW beyond any doubt they were best friends in heaven. Kyler has never once shown an ounce of jealousy towards Aysen. Life at our house changed a little and he had a hard time but none of his feelings were directed towards his little brother. He still tells me, "I can't believe I have a brother." Every once in a while, Kyler will sanitize and ask to hold his brother. Not for long, but long enough. Such love.
And now, I'm ending the night with Aysen in his bassinet. He is sleeping comfortably. He doesn't have one cord attached to him. His heel hasn't been pricked for a blood sample. He is able to wear pajamas and no one will wake him to check his vitals.
He is still our miracle baby. I just hope I can live in such a way that I teach him and my other children what they need to know. To be happy, to serve others, to look at the bright side of a situation, to reach for the stars with all of their goals and that they are loved by not only me but also their Father in Heaven and brother Jesus Christ. Our lives are blessed beyond measure . . .
6 comments:
Sometimes I feel at that point you are describing...my babies are grown (oh, I try to pretend they are all still babies) and the majority of them are too big to play with me...and. I. am. sad. The very sadness you described. So, I lift up my chin and try to find ways into their little big lives and sometimes I feel like the little kid demanding attention. I have a new season ahead of me and I am determined to love every minute of it. You will see, no more complaining...
Thanks for your words. You are a great mom and it looks like the dad of the house is playing his role well too! As for the learning from trials...do they ever give? If you find out how, please tell me. (here I am being the great neighbor again...hehehe)
The toughest part of being a mom is staying focussed on the most important things. That "Better" part unfortunately I learned some lessons that day too, in a different way. Thanks for learning with me and teaching me. I know the Lord gave us families and Friends to help us make it through our trials. Thanks for being my friend I am sooooo glad everything turned out ok.
This post makes me sniffly.
I love all the pictures, and especially your thoughts.
Being the inferior one in my marriage, i am happy and thankful i marriage a husband of quality. and i am so glad andy is a husband of quality.
i found his request and your response interesting. a very reasonable request, but i can see your response. it's like that is the ONE PERSON who carries the whole burden of the truth with you, so to face them and be vulnerable with them at that moment seems dangerous.
i could just be blowing hot air. that happens... a lot.
i am so thankful aysen is home and all is well. what a miracle child!
I think it takes a lot of humility to post what you just wrote here. I don't think you fall far behind your husband in greatness and in being an example to others. I'm sure things balance out with some other great qualities you have. :) This post has just taken the number one spot in my "favorite posts" list. I agree with everything you said about living in the present. It is something that I've been struggling with myself. In fact, it is interesting that I read this post right after spending the evening sledding with Aurora, telling knock-knock jokes and laughing all through dinner, and getting ready for bed chatting all together in our bathroom. I kept thinking: THIS is what life is all about. THIS is what I want to do every day and what I look forward doing every day from now on. Then I read your post... and there it was: the second witness. ;) Love you, Tina. You're such and example to me. You're one strong woman, and if I ever become half as good as you are, I will have lived a good life.
I look at all the folks who have commented here, and if my opinion counts for anything, you all fit into that "great mom" category. I can especially vouch for Tina as I get to see it everyday. This very subject has been on my mind as well, I'm very thankful that my better half took the time to put it into words. I want to make this my new year resolution. It won't be easy to measure like losing x amount of weight, or reading the Book of Mormon all the way through (I need to include these in my resolutions nonetheless). But I want to try and give more time to my kids...especially one on one time. They need it, and I need it. I won't just limit it to my kids though, my good wife needs to teach me a lot more good, and how can I get those lessons unless I spend time with her too.
Thanks Tina for writing this, thanks for your wonderful insight, thanks for being a Super Mom, and thanks for letting me be your husband. Your awesome!!!
Enjoy the precious moments, don't let them pass you by!
Aw! I hope it's okay if I comment, too. Beautiful post. Tina, I really look up to you and your cute family, a lot. Thanks so much for you example.
Post a Comment