I happened to be wearing my new Red Sox jacket when a kind gentleman stopped me to say, "Red Sox?" with a little bit of disgust in his voice. I smiled and replied, "The Yankees are my second favorite." (In the world of baseball it seems that EVERYONE has an opinion when it comes to the Yankees and Red Sox. The rule is you love one and hate the other (except for me, which my brother-in-law, Ryan, says means I'm really not a fan of either one)).
The gentleman didn't seem to hear me and wanted to explain why he didn't have admiration or love for my Sox. The Reader's Digest version of the story: He grew up in New Hampshire and for an 8th grade field trip they attended a game, a game which went 19 innings. He only remembers the blinking CITGO sign and watching the relationship between a man and his dog (the dog was also at the game in his own seat). 19 innings ended up being 18 more innings than this 8th grader wanted to see.
My dream is to someday actually get to attend a game in Fenway. Andy and my brother Paul went to 2 games -- I AM JEALOUS.
I passed this man on a few more occasions while I shopped and ended up behind him in the checkout line. As the cashier was ringing up his groceries he chose three cherry chocolates (the candy bar size kind). I hate cooked cherries, the fresh variety are edible but cooked cherries make me want to vomit. Because of this hatred I had to open my mouth and insert my foot. I explained to the man that cherries are gross, he should really purchase something with mint or caramel. I was glad he again seemed to be hard of hearing when he explained that he always purchases a treat for his cashier. Today, he also gave one to the cashier behind him and to ME.
Another lesson: Keep all negative opinions to myself and If I can't say something nice don't say anything at all (even if it isn't about something living).
5 comments:
yup this is my sister tina, she has a way of making everyone feel like she is their best friend. i remember occasions growing up when we'd go to the grocery store and i could hardly believe how popular she was. so times haven't changed much. everyone at the grocery store still loves to talk to her. that guy is pretty awesome... he doesn't sound like he was that great to talk to but purchasing treats for two cashiers and YOU. i'm glad the guy was hard of hearing. cherry chocolates should be banished.
that man was both random and wonderful. i like people.
too funny...that gave me a good laugh for the day!
Did you eat the cherry chocolate??? As I have watched the events in our world lately I still see more good than bad it is just that the news media loves the bad they forget to report all of the good.
This post made me CRACK up. You are way too funny. Cherry chocolates for me? Hmmm, it depends on the day.
(My word verification for this post? Shett. That very well could replace my favorite swear word, then Rob could stop giving me dirty looks every time it slipped in front of the kids!)
Post a Comment